Movement System Impairment Syndromes Upper Quadrant - Sahrmann Education
- DATES: 24, 25, 26 May 2019
- TIMES: Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 9.00h - 12:30h ; 14.00h - 17.00h
- CITY: CANARY ISLAND. Clinic Mobility Fisioterapia (Telde, Las Palmas)
- TEACHER: Mary Kate McDonnell - Official Instructor
NOTE: This course is only applicable for Physiotherapist. The course will be taught in english with spanish translation. Manuals will be in english.
This course will provide a review and update of the concepts and principles of the movement system impairment (MSI) theory and its relationship to musculoskeletal pain syndromes. The course includes both lecture and lab experience. It is designed to improve the clinician's skill in the performance of the examination procedures and the recognition of signs and symptoms of upper quarter syndromes associated with movement systems imbalances. The course will emphasize the selection and performance of corrective exercises based on the results of the examination. Discussion will also include description of the diagnoses of the shoulder, neck & thoracic impairment syndromes.
Upon completion of this course the participant should be able to:
1. Describe why static and dynamic balance about a joint is the critical element for optimal movement and prevention of pain syndromes.
2. Describe the concepts relating muscle length and strength.
3. Describe the concepts of relative flexibility/stiffness and displacement of the axis of rotation.
4. Recognize faulty patterns of movement and muscle recruitment of the upper quarter.
5. Recognize faulty postures and the associated muscle imbalances of the upper quarter.
6. Recognize muscle imbalances syndromes associated with painful conditions of the shoulder, and neck regions.
7. Perform muscle length tests important to imbalance syndromes. Perform diagnostic movement tests to direct treatment.
8. Perform the Movement System Impairment (MSI) examination.
9. Develop a corrective exercise program based on the results of the MSI physical exam.
Lec: Principles and concepts of the Movement System Impairment Syndromes (Review & Update)
Lec: Movement Impairment Diagnoses of the Scapula and Humerus
Lec cont’d Movement Impairment Diagnoses of the Scapula and Humerus
Lab/Demo: Demonstration of a full exam of the shoulder girdle - participants determines diagnosis & corrective exercise
Lab: Demonstration and practice of alignment, movement tests exercises and functional instruction of the shoulder girdle – focus on standing and supine.
Cont’d: Demonstration and practice of alignment, movement tests, exercise and functional instruction of the shoulder girdle – focus on prone, quadruped and sitting
Lec: Movement Impairment Diagnoses of the cervical spine and TMJ
Lab/Demo: Demonstration of a full exam of the cervical spine -Participants determines diagnosis and corrective exercises
Lab: Demonstration and practice of alignment, movement tests, exercises and functional instruction of the cervical spine
Lab cont’d Demonstration and practice of alignment, movement tests, exercises and functional instruction of the cervical spine
Lab: Progression of exercise and functional activities. Demonstration and practice
Review of Material/Oral Examination and Q & A